stories

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Losing my Religion...

First off...  I hate that song.

Now, on to the point of this post.

I have been, on occasion, questioned about my religious beliefs--or lack of them, as it were.

I guess the best way to explain what I believe is to present one example. A strong--in my mind--example.

For a moment, I will assume that god exists.  With that, I will consider that the things in the bible are true and accurate accounts.

Let's take a murderer as an example. Let's say that he kills an innocent. Let's also, for a moment, ignore the tendency for people to say that no one--unborn children included--are not innocent. Sins of the father, and whatnot. This murderer is created by god, given free-will, and released into the world. At some point in the future, he chooses to rape and strangulate a little child. Let's now consider that god knew this was going to happen and created him anyway. Now, I hear the protests. "He had a choice and chose evil." He had a choice. I submit that, yes he had a choice, but god is supposed to be omnipotent. He sees and knows all... past, present and future.

If that is true, the god already knew that the man was going to choose this evil thing, and chose to create him anyway.  He chose.

If free-will can disrupt what god sees simply because the choice hasn't been made until you make it, then god doesn't know anything that you are going to do until you do it. This isn't being omnipotent.

This is where my ability to have faith falls apart.

Some people want to assume that, because I'm atheist, I don't have any respect for people who believe. Which is not true. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who believes in their own truths. They also assume that I haven't read the bible. Which is also not true. The bible is the primary reason that I'm atheist in the first place.

Now, though I don't believe in god, does that mean I don't want the bible to be true and that their is something more to the universe, beyond the cycle of life and death?

No.

I want to believe it's all true. I just don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment